The first Sunday of the month is sacred in these waters… nothing (or let’s say next to nothing) comes between this Lost Shark and SpeedPoets. But the first Sunday in August is even a little more special than usual, as SpeedPoets, Brisbane’s longest running poety/spoken word event is teaming up with one of this country’s finest literary journals, Page Seventeen to offer one local writer the chance to have their work published in issue #8 as well as win a pretty cool little book package including back issues of Page Seventeen and a range of other quality journals and poetry collections.
What are we looking for? Poems that dance on page and stage. Poems that create their own music, that beat their own drum. Poems that beg to be heard again and again and again and… well you get the picture.
The rules of entry are simple:
1. Sign on for the Page Seventeen/SpeedPoets Open Mic Competition will commence at 2pm
2. Each poet will be given 3mins to perform/read their poem (without musical accompaniment). Each poem read must be the original work of the poet.
3. Each poet must place a typed/neatly handwritten copy of their poem in the judges box at the conclusion of their reading.
4. Judges will consider the poem in its oral and written form.
5. The winning poem will be published in issue #8 of Page Seventeen and the poet will receive a book/CD pack.
(NB. Judges decisions on the day will be final and no further corresspondence will be entered into)
There will also be free zines, the monthly raffle and much, much more…
So for your monthly poetry hit, get along to InSpire Gallery Bar, 71 Vulture St West End this Sunday, August 1 from 2pm. I wouldn’t be anywhere else!
SpeedPoets, Sunday August 1, 2:00pm – 5:00pm
InSpire Gallery Bar – 71 Vulture St. West End
Entry is a gold coin donation